Junior Preparatory School
WHPS JUNIOR PREPARATORY MUSIC
Music is exciting. It crosses borders, turns frowns into smiles and it is a language everyone speaks and understands! Schools that fail to encourage the development of this expressive art, deny their pupils access to a stunning part of their culture. WHPS Junior Preparatory Music is alive and well.
At WHPS we have a proud Music Tradition which in addition to setting us apart from many other schools, gives all boys the opportunity to be exposed to a variety of instruments. They learn to be productive and creative, and at the same time also have a lot of fun.
School music programmes are especially relevant to the development of a holistic education. They promote self-expression, responsibility and creativity. They develop self-discipline and thinking skills such as problem solving, evaluation and analysis. Boys involved in music at WHPS leave the class with a positive experience and as a result when boys are exposed to music, they acquire a taste for the things in life that will feed their souls. The boys at WHPS are giving many opportunities to perform and enhance their self-confidence.
WHPS Music Vision
- to provide music education to pupils of all ages.
WHPS Music Mission
- to give every boy the chance and opportunity to experience music and all that we have to offer.
WHPS Music Objective
- to be passionate and create a love and appreciation for music.
The task of every music teacher at WHPS is to develop a love and appreciation for music from a very young age.
WHPS Junior Preparatory Music Classes
Boys attend two music lessons a week of which one is dedicated to a Recorder group class. The boys learn the basics about music through games, interactive activities and instrumental play.
Music Tuition at WHPS is offered in a wide range of instruments:
- Strings – Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass
- Woodwinds – Recorder Saxophone, Flute and Clarinet
- Brass – Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone and Euphonium
- Other instruments – Guitar (acoustic and electric), Bass Guitar, Classical Guitar, Drums and Voice.
Mrs Melanie dos Santos Mrs Liza van der Westhuizen
Director Performing Arts Music Teacher