WHPS School Council
Committed to have the school’s best interests at heart
Founded in 1923, Waterkloof House Preparatory School (WHPS) was run as a privately-owned concern for many years. However, headmaster, Wilf MacRobert, decided in 1964 to create a School Trust, which would assume ownership of the school, its property and buildings and a school council (“Council“), which would take over the running and management of this private school for boys.
The Council’s function is to govern, manage and administer the School in accordance with its objectives and within the parameters of the Council’s Constitution, as well as to assist the headmaster.
All strategic, financial and project-related decisions are first made by the school’s Executive Committee (“ExCo“) and, once debated and agreed upon by ExCo, such decisions are tabled at a meeting of the full Council for its approval. The Council is also responsible for the appointment of the headmaster and the bursar.
WHPS School Council Members
There are a number of portfolios assigned to the WHPS Council, namely:
- Chairman of Council : Mr Robin Buckley
- Vice Chairman : Mr Dave Sawyer
- Councillors Emeritus : Mr Rusty Gillett / Mr Dave Marshall / Mr Neil Smith / Mr David Chamberlain / Mr Tiny Barnetson
- Trust Representatives : Mr David Chamberlain / Mr Robin Buckley / Mr Dave Sawyer
- Co-opted Members : Mr Martin Coetzee (Legal) / Mr Peter Papadopulo (Legal) / Mr Enrico Jacobs (IT)
- Nominated Clergyman : Father Samuel Isaacs
- Nominated Educationalist : Mr Shane Kidwell (Headmaster – St Alban’s College)
- Nominated Business Person : Mrs Dessie Papavarnavas
- Headmaster : Mr Mark Whitelaw
- Deputy Headmaster : Mr Rob Neilson
- Deputy Head – Academics : Mrs Brigitte Theunissen
- Bursar : Mrs Susan Rossouw
- Secretary : Mrs Jane Sweetlove
- Elected PA Members: Mr Rory Richardson (Chairman) / Mr Derick de Beer (Vice Chairman) / Mrs Rene van Straten / Mr Ransley Padayachy / Mrs Vuyo Hani / Mrs Margo Scheepers
- Old Boys’ Representatives: Mr Andy Papadopulo (Chairman) / Dr Sedise Moseneke (Vice Chairman) / Mr Neil Taylor
The ExCo meets with the headmaster on a monthly basis and one full Council meeting is held every school term. Should a member of the parent body wish to approach the Council with any queries or concerns, they should contact the Chairman of the PA, who is their representative on Council.
The Council is a committed and dedicated group of people who have the school’s best interests at heart, who give of their time generously in order to better the school and so as to ensure a secure future for generations of WHPSians to come.